Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:00 am by MoonwalkingPanda

July 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Poisoned Memories: a PoM fanfic

Go down

Poisoned Memories: a PoM fanfic

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:53 pm

(Credit for the title and Skipper's nickname for Lucy goes to Sweetpanda12. And I'd also like to thank Private_Cute for reading what I've done so far and giving me her honest opinion on it. Quick summary: My OC Lucy has been transferred to the Central Park Zoo, and now has to adjust to her new life there. But of course there are complications. This is an ongoing story, so I'll update every so often.)

Poisoned Memories

Chapter 1: Stranger in a strange land

Lucy woke up feeling groggy and unsure of herself. "Where am I?" she thought as she strained to see in the blackness. She cautiously felt around and found that she was surrounded by wood. "What's this? Am I in a...box?" Thinking hard she suddenly remembered. A zookeeper had come to the habitat and took her someplace. Then she felt a pinprick as she was injected with something. Then just before she fell asleep she remembered the sensation of being put in a box. "I've been transferred to another zoo. But where?" She didn't have to wait long to find out fortunately.

Alice shambled over to the loading area where new animals were shipped in to the Central Park Zoo. She had no idea, though that she was being secretly followed by four penguins. The red-haired woman took a cursory glance at the shipping records before saying to herself, "Alright, let's see what I'll have to be taking care of now."

She sighed despondently; unhappy with her job and life. Alice fetched a crowbar and pried open the lid of the wood crate, then looked down. She did a double take in surprise. "Another penguin? Ya gotta be kidding me. But why is this one blue?"

Hiding behind a nearby trashcan, the four penguins overheard this. A short stocky one with a strangely flat head turned to a tall penguin and inquired, "Kowlaski, analysis. Explain what the zookeeper means by 'blue penguin'."

Kowalski pondered for a second before answering. "Well, Skipper this can only mean one thing. Our newest resident is the blue penguin, so called for their blue feathers. Also known as the little penguin; so called for their size. They are native to New Zealand and Australia where they are called fairy penguin. Again because of their size."

The smallest and fattest of the four suddenly spoke saying, "Fairy penguin? Ah, that's just adorable. I hope we can all be friends." The one called Skipper merely glared at the smaller one. "Get your head out of the clouds Private. Even if that is a penguin in there, that's no guarantee that it's not an enemy." Private looked crestfallen at this.

"We need a closer look. Rico, binoculars." The fourth penguin, who has a scar and feathers on his head that resemble a Mohawk, didn't say anything. He opened his mouth and with a sound like "oo-hat" vomited up a pair of binoculars and gave them to Skipper.

He looked through them and saw the zookeeper fetch a cage. A minute later the mysterious "fairy penguin" had been scooped up and was in the cage.

"We need to head back to the habitat a-stat. We should be there to 'welcome' our new guest." Private clapped his flippers happily. "Yippee." Skipper sighed. "Not like that Private." Private looked dejected. "Aww."

Under cover the penguins raced Alice back to the enclosure barely making it there before her. Skipper gazed at the approaching human with a steely look in his eyes. "Steady men. We have to be ready for whatever happens next."

Lucy was confused and scared. When the large human had looked at her and said, "Another penguin?" she had felt hopeful for a minute. At least she could be with her own kind here. They would accept her. Though the ones back at her old home hadn't for some odd reason that she could never figure out.

But that hope was dashed when the woman said, "But why is this one blue?". She realized that, yes, there were other penguins here. But they probably wouldn't accept her since they were of two different species.

Sadden by the prospect of starting a new life in a place where no one would accept her because of the color of her feathers, Lucy didn't resist when she was picked up and placed in a cage.

The woman started talking to herself again. "Another penguin. That's all I need. As if the ones here aren't bad enough as it is. I'd still like to know how they get out. And now I have to take care of another one. Ugh. Penguins. They're nothing but trouble."

Lucy didn't know what any of that meant. But there was this nagging feeling somewhere in the back of her mind. A faint feeling as if she did know what it meant. But she couldn't remember no matter how hard she tried.

They had reached the penguin habitat, which was completely different from the kind she was used to, and the zookeeper was opening the cage and prodding her out.

"Well, here you go. Your new home. Play nice with the others." As the zookeeper walked away Lucy could have sworn she heard her mutter, "Filthy birds" under her breath.

She looked at her new roommates. There were four of them; ranging in height and fatness. The second shortest, who had an odd flat head, came up to her and brusquely demanded, "Alright. Tell us who you are and who you work for." Lucy had no idea what he was talking about.

Skipper watched Alice drop off the new penguin. And he did indeed hear her mutter "Filthy birds", but his attention was taken up with the potential enemy. The new arrival was short, roughly Private's height. Instead of the traditional black and white feathers, this penguin's feathers were slate-blue and white with a misplaced blue feather on the cheek making it appear as if the penguin had a beauty mark. Instead of the beak being orange, it was grey, and instead of orange feet, the feet were pink. Overall a very strange bird is what Skipper was thinking. There was also something else about the penguin that was different from him and his men. But he couldn't quite put his flipper on it yet.

So instead he demanded, "Alright. Tell us who you are and who you work for." The penguin stared at him with those grey eyes that were so different from his own in some other way besides color. Then the penguin spoke and he figured it out.

"Um...my name is Lucy. And I don't work for anyone." The new penguin was a girl! How could he have missed that? Now that he looked closer at her eyes he realized that what was different about them was that she has eyelashes.

Refusing to be shaken, Skipper continued his interrogation. "Okay Lucy, if that is your real name, where did you come from?"

"I'm from Australia. I was transferred from Sea World. Ummm....." She paused.

Skipper narrowed his eyes. "What is it?"

"Well....back in '07 at Sea World....um...."

Another pause. Suddenly Lucy looked like she was going to cry. Skipper was not one to be dissuaded by tears. "Come on. Out with. Back in '07 what?"

Lucy took a deep breath before answering. "Back in '07 there were thirty-seven of us fairy penguins. Then somehow our habitat was poisoned. The humans don't know what happened; the gravel was laced with toxins it seems. Of the thirty-seven, only twelve survived the incident. I lost my family."

There was a moment of silence as the other penguins digested the story. Private looked like he was about to cry too. Kowalski and Rico looked sad as well. Skipper seemed more angry than sad. As if he suspected something the others didn’t.

"Was the perpetrator ever caught," he asked.

Lucy shook her head. "No. It happened at night. I think some of the other survivors might know who did it. But they won't talk about it. Especially not to me."

That got Skipper's attention. "Why won't they talk about it with you?"

"I don't know. I don't really remember a whole lot. Like my memory has been erased or something. The others know something, I think, but won't tell me. I think they’re afraid of something. Maybe of whoever did it. Then I got transferred here. Though I don‘t know why."

Skipper's eyes narrowed. "Kowalski, analysis."

Kowalski came forward and looked Lucy over. Finally he turned to Skipper. "Until I can do further tests I can't know for certain. But I think it's alright to trust her. I can always get out my ‘special hot sauce’ if you want."

Skipper thought for a second. "Later. Okay. My gut is telling me that there's more to the story here than meets the eye. But I'll do you the honor of letting you into our HQ. But that's it. I'm not sure if I'll let you be part of my team yet, but I'll still call you Rookie anyway. Just in case I change my mind. Understand?"

Lucy didn't understand, but she nodded her head anyway.

"Good. Then let's head down." Skipper moved the food bowl and started heading down. The others followed close behind. Lucy watched and wondered just what she had gotten herself into.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
And my reasons are...um...hmm....

(Insert theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly as two computer hackers square off in a parking lot.)
Hardison:
Chaos. I heard you were in jail. Guess I was wrong.
Chaos: Hardison. I heard you suck. Guess I was right.

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Humor : Help me Tom Cruise! Use your black magic to save me!

Roleplay characters
Name: Lucy

Back to top Go down

Re: Poisoned Memories: a PoM fanfic

Post  MoonwalkingPanda on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Oh my gods that is amazing! Love this to bits! Say, couldn't Skipper drop a reference about his three cousins in NZ? a.k.a. Krystal, Piper and Manuka. If this story was posted on fanfiction.net, I would be reviewing all the way. Kepp tis upp!

(BAD SPEERS UNTIE! xD)

Lieutenant Kowalski
Lieutenant Kowalski

Location : Moonwalking forever across the fandoms and the universe...
Humor : Yes, I look similar to a genderbent Eddsworld Character. It's a thing.

Roleplay characters
Name: Krys

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutezee_Penguin on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:58 am

You're welcome, Fairy! ^_^ Keep up the good work.

When you feel an anger wiggle,
Calm it with a jolly gig-gle!
And when your blood starts to rise...
Hide it with a smile disguise! ♫ ♪
Cutezee_Penguin
Major Maurice
Major Maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Sweetpanda12 wrote:Oh my gods that is amazing! Love this to bits! Say, couldn't Skipper drop a reference about his three cousins in NZ? a.k.a. Krystal, Piper and Manuka. If this story was posted on fanfiction.net, I would be reviewing all the way. Kepp tis upp!

(BAD SPEERS UNTIE! xD)

Thanks.^^ I'll see if I can squeeze in a mention of them. I'll probably be posting chapter 2 after I finish chapter 3.

(Insert theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly as two computer hackers square off in a parking lot.)
Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  2nd Lt. NYC on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Wow. You're pretty much the good writer. Considering that came from a person who always tops the class with her narrative essays, that's something. My OC is some fairy/Adele penguin crossbreed, so I prefer not to talk about her exact origin. Too undecided.
Anyhoo, I like the story! Keep up the good work!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Norway: You're still sulking about that?
Iceland: I told you, I'm not!
Norway: Ja, still sulking.
-HetaOni: Nordic-Baltic Eight
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TURTLES.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Kowalski: Good golly, you're vomiting everything but the kitchen sink!
*Rico horks up the kitchen sink*
2nd Lt. NYC
Commander Skipper
Commander Skipper

Humor : ENGLAND SANK MY INVINCIBLE ARMADA... in Battleship. R.I.P Invincible Armada.

Roleplay characters
Name: NYC (my persona :P)

http://penguinsunited.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:43 pm

(Thanks guys. ^^ Since chapter 3 is finished it's now time for chapter 2. Yay?)

Chapter 2: Proper Introductions

Lucy was lead down into an underground bunker. As she stood there, she felt another faint nudge at the back of her mind. One of familiarity. “But why though?” she thought to herself. The she shrugged it off. “It’s probably because fairy penguins nest in burrows. That’s all.” She returned her attention to the others.

The flat headed one was talking. “Alright Rookie. Time for introductions. Sound off men.”

The smallest one stepped forward. “Private here. Rank, Private First Class.” He stepped back.

The wild looking one stepped forward next. “Ghrbwthyu.” Then he stepped back.

“Um….,” Lucy interjected somewhat confused. “What did he say?”

“Oh, that’s Rico. He’s our weapons and demolition expert. You’ll get to understand his speech after awhile.” Skipper explained.

Lucy remained uncertain of that.

The tall one was next. “Kowalski here with the power of SCIENCE.” Lucy had no comment for that.

“And I’m Skipper. Leader of this rag-tag band of freedom fighters.”

Again the faint feeling after Skipper mentioned “freedom fighters”. Lucy chose to ignore it for the moment.

“As commanding officer here that means you have to follow my orders Rookie. Comprende?”

The fairy penguin was confused. “But I thought you said you didn’t know if you wanted me on your team yet. And my name is Lucy, not Rookie.”

Skipper merely glared at her. “Whether you’re part of my team yet or not, you’re still bunking under my roof. So you’ll follow orders like a good little solider. And since your rank is Rookie, your name will be Rookie.”

Lucy looked helplessly at the others. Only Private answered. “Don’t worry. We’ll still call you Lucy.” He smiled encouragingly.

Skipper turned his glare on Private. “Don’t molly-coddle the new rookie Private.” Private looked sheepish. “Now, where was I?”

Before he could continue there was a slight commotion at the hatch and a furry animal of some kind that Lucy didn’t recognize burst in. Oddly enough he was wearing a crown. “Hello silly birds!” he yelled in a boisterous voice with a faint and odd accent.

Immediately Skipper rounded on the intruder. “Ringtail! You are not authorized to be in here!”

The crowned animal that Skipper had called “Ringtail” merely shrugged at this. “Silly penguin. I am a king. And as a king I do not need this authorizing. I go where I want. Because I am king and that what’s we do, you know.” Skipper looked ready to punch him into next week.

Suddenly Ringtail spotted Lucy. “And what are we having here? A new subject?” He got uncomfortably close to her and started peering Lucy up and down. “Eh, but why is the penguin blue and not black like the other silly penguins?”

“Well---,” Lucy started to answer but she was cut off.

“Eh, it is not mattering. It is a new subject and that is what is mattering.” Ringtail drew himself up to his full height and tried to look as regal as possible. “I am Julien. KING Julien. And I as your king, which is me, am demanding your total worshipfulness and servitude from now until forever. So I will now accept the bowing and scraping.”

There was a moment of silence. “What?” Lucy stared at him blankly.

Skipper had reached his limit. “Rico, show Ringtail out.”

“Okay”. Rico rushed forward, picked Julien up by the scruff on the neck, and kicked him up and out of the hatch. “Bye-bye,” Rico waved with a maniacal grin.

The entire time this was going on Lucy had no idea of what to think. All she knew was that she definitely wasn’t going to be serving some mammal.

After a few minutes, time taken for Skipper to get his temper under control, the speech resumed. “Alright. So where was I? Oh yeah. Your rank is rookie, so I’ll be calling you Rookie. Got it?”

Lucy nodded. Skipper glared. “You’re supposed to answer ‘Aye Skipper’. Got it?”

“Aye Skipper.”

“That’s better,” he smiled. “Now, to find you a place to sleep.”

He looked over at where he and his men sleep. “Kowalski, analysis.”

Kowalski examined the wall, then shook his head. “Sorry Skipper. If we carved another bunk we’d risk weakening the central structure. The whole bunker could collapse on us.”

Skipper paused and thought for a moment. “So we’ll need an alternative. Options!”

“I suggest a box.”

“Wait, you’re going to put me in a box?!” Lucy exclaimed.

“Got a problem with that Rookie?” Skipper glared.

She gulped nervously. “No Skipper.”

“Good. A box it is then. Let’s move out men.”

They exited, and headed for the zoo storage to find a suitable box. Once there a pair of binoculars was brought out again to survey the scene. A worker was moving boxes out of the storage building and loading them into a hand cart.

“Looks like only one obstacle between us and our objective,” Skipper said as he lowered the binoculars. “Okay here’s the plan. Private and Rookie, I want you two on look out duty. I don’t want that human spotting us. The rest of us will go track down a suitable box. Now let’s move out.”

Private and Lucy hid close to the door so they could keep an eye on the man. Skipper, Kowalski, and Rico started examining empty crates. “Ah-ha!” Skipper exclaimed as he found an empty wood crate.

“Um, Skipper, don’t you think that box might be a bit…well…too small for Lucy?” Kowalski asked with some concern.

Skipper merely shrugged. “Eh. She’s a small penguin. She shouldn’t need that much room, right?” Kowalski sighed and shook his head in resignation. The box was tossed to Rico for him to carry.

“Skipper! Better hurry and get out of there. The man is coming back,” Private warned. Quickly the five penguins rushed out the door before they were spotted and got back to the bunker without being noticed.

Lucy breathed a sigh of relief. “Do you guys do this sort of thing often? ’Cause if so, then I don’t know if I can handle it.” Yet even as she said that, there was that faint feeling. As if what she just went through was something familiar.

Skipper dismissed her concerns with a careless wave of his flippers. “Don’t sweat it Rookie. You’ll get used to our routine in no time at all. Now let’s look at your box.”

She finally got a good look at what the others had gotten for her, and felt a little disappointed. The box was just barely big enough for her to sit up in and lay down in properly. “Um…..it looks….um….,” Lucy paused not knowing what to say.

Luckily Private stepped in to fill the awkward silence. “Skipper, maybe we should sand down the inside a bit. Jut to avoid splinters.” He smiled hopefully.

Skipper groaned in disgust. “Ugh. Fine. We’ll sand it down. Rico, belt sander.”

“Okay. Oo-hat.” And out came a belt sander from somewhere inside Rico’s stomach. He then went to work on sanding down the inside of Lucy’s new “bedroom”. It didn’t take long; considering the size of the box. “Ta-dah!” Rico gestured at the box grandly.

“Thank you,” Lucy replied meekly.

“And what about a pillow?” Private asked with a slight frown on his face.

“Oh okay. Oo-hat.” And Rico threw up a pillow.

“How does he do that?” Lucy wondered.

Private turned to her smiling. “There you go. All better.”

“Thank you. Both of you.”

Skipper glared. “Are were all done now?”

Private turned hastily to face Skipper. “Um, yes sir.”

“Good. Rookie, this is where you’ll be bunking. Let’s see….,” he paused and looked around for a moment. “Ah. There. And that’s where it’ll go.” He pointed to an empty corner, and Rico picked up the box and moved it to the corner.

“A few ground rules for now Rookie,” Skipper said sternly, “Lights out at 22:00 hrs. And up and at ’em at 06:00hrs. We clear on that?”

Lucy’s face went momentarily blank. “What is he talking about?” she thought. Then there was the nudge again, only this time there was a vague memory attached. Something about someone explaining military time to her. “But why would I need to know something like that?”

Skipper began to grow impatient. “Hello. Earth to Rookie. Do you read me?”

Lucy snapped out of it. “Oh. Um, yes sir. Loud and clear sir.” She smiled nervously.

He stared at her for a minute before replying. “Okay. Good. You’re relieved of duty for now. Tomorrow I’ll start to break you in though. So make sure you get a good night’s sleep. You’re gonna need it.”

Lucy didn’t respond to that not knowing what to say. She glanced over her shoulder back at the box that would be her bed from now on. “A box. I’m sleeping in a box. It’s better than the floor I guess.” She shook her head sadly. “And I’m in some sort of military unit too. But why does that feel familiar?”

Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:11 pm

(Well, I think it's been long enough. So it should be okay to bump with chapter 3. Please note: the thing with Kowalski is simply because I think of him as the medic of the group. That's all.)

Chapter 3: Training

The remainder of that day was uneventful. Feeding time; where food was callously tossed at her by a disgruntled woman. Followed by down time with the others.

Private went out of his way to be nice to Lucy. He invited her to watch his favorite TV show with him; a cartoon called The Lunacorns. It was rather childish in a way; espousing that everyone should get along. But surprisingly she found herself enjoying it.

Then the others wrested control of the remote from Private and she found herself watching something called Shirtless Ninja Action Theater which she really didn’t know what to make of.

Finally it was time for bed. Lucy struggled to get comfortable in her box. She managed after a while, but laid awake trying to figure things out.

“Okay. So I’m in a military unit. It feels familiar. I don’t know why it does, but it does.” Lucy rolled over restlessly. “So what does that mean? That I was in the military before this?”

She paused in mid thought as a sudden realization hit her. “What was my life like before this? What was my family like?” She tried hard to remember. “Mom was caring. Dad was strong. My little brother Ed was smart. But was that it? I get this nagging feeling that that’s not it. What am I not remembering about them? And what about me? Was I always like this? Just who am I?” With these questions haunting her, Lucy finally fell into a troubled sleep.

Six A.M. came all too soon. “Up and at ‘em Rookie!” Skipper called. Lucy rolled out of her box feeling out of it. She hadn’t had a good night’s sleep. But something like that wasn’t going to get her out of what Skipper had in mind for her.

“C’mon! Hup to! Hup to! Let’s see some hustle Rookie.” Lucy got unsteadily to her feet. She faced Skipper feeling unsure of herself. Skipper glared at her. “Well now that Rookie has finally agreed to join us, it’s time for morning calisthenics. Top side!”

With that everyone headed out and Lucy had no choice but to follow. Skipper lead the group in a series of exercise. Most of which she got wrong. Each time she messed up she got yelled at. “Keep in step Rookie. That’s not the way for a solider to act.”

Lucy wanted to remind him that she wasn’t a solider, but his glares stopped her from saying anything. Eventually the exercises were done. “That’s all for the warm-up. Now a break for a quick swim before breakfast. Everyone in the water.”

They all dived in except for Lucy. She sat down panting for breath and started getting her feathers in order. Skipper noticed that she wasn’t with the group and hopped back on land. “What do you think you’re doing Rookie? I said go take a swim, not groom your feathers. Explain this unauthorized beauty treatment.”

Lucy didn’t reply at first, which made him angry. But after she finished a few more feathers she looked up and said, “I had to groom my feathers.”

“And why is that?”

“Well, if my feathers aren’t properly groomed I can’t swim too well. So if I want to swim to the best of my abilities I have to take good care of my feathers.”

There was a pause. Finally Skipper turned to the water and called for Kowalski. “What do you make of her story?”

Kowalski didn’t even need to consider it. “She is correct Skipper. Fairy penguins really can’t swim that well if their feathers aren’t groomed properly.”

“So she’d be useless in the water otherwise,” Skipper asked with some doubt.

“Affirmative.” Kowalski looked smug about his knowledge.

Skipper shook his head in resignation. “Fine. I hereby authorize your beauty treatments Rookie. But only because I don’t want you to be a dead weight. Now if you’re finished, let’s swim.”

“Aye Skipper,” Lucy said with a slight smile. Back into the water the penguin leader dove followed by the fairy penguin. But before she could get in more that a few laps, it was time for breakfast.

Again food was hurled unfeelingly at them by the irate zookeeper; who mumbled all the time about “disgusting birds and their smelly food”. Lucy couldn’t help but wonder why didn’t Alice just quit her job and go get a new one if she hated this one so much.

Her food hadn’t even had time to properly digest when Skipper announced that it was time to resume training.

“Alright Rookie, “ Skipper spoke grimly, “you’ve had your warm-up. Now for the real work out. Time to find out just what you’re capable of.”

Lucy gulped nervously. “What I’m capable of, sir?”

“That’s right. What you’re capable of….in a combat situation!”

She was shocked to silence.

“What’s the matter Rookie? Don’t tell me you have some sort of aversion to violence.”

“Ummm…..,” she stuttered. Lucy couldn’t get any words out.

“Because that’s hippie talk. And I don’t stand for that sort of thing in my unit.” Skipper glared at her to get his point across. “So are you ready for combat?”

“Well….,” she started. But didn’t get to finish that sentence.

“Good! Now let’s pick out your opponent.” He gazed thoughtfully at the other penguins; mentally sizing them up. “How about we have you go up against Private first.”

Both Private and Lucy blanched at this.

“But…but Skipper. I don’t think I can force myself to fight Lucy in mock combat,” Private whimpered.

Skipper turned his glare on Private. “And why is that?”

“Well….it’s just….she’s my friend. And a girl. I don’t think it would be fair.”

Skipper just glared. After his experience with his three cousins from New Zealand, he knew that being a girl has nothing to do with one’s ability in a fight.

“And what does that have to do with anything,” Skipper asked rhetorically.

Private tried to answer but Skipper cut him off.

“Do you think that if a girl knows how to fight that she won’t hesitate to attack you in battle?”

“Well….,” Private tried to say but noticed Skipper’s glare and immediately shut up.

“Of course she wouldn’t. Now get in there and engage Rookie in mock combat. That’s an order solider.”

Private gulped nervously. “Yes sir.”

Skipper turned to Lucy. “Now Rookie, Private’s going to attack you. I want you to dodge or block those attacks. Understood?”

Lucy nodded uncertainly. “Yes sir.”

“Good. Alright, begin mock combat now!”

Private looked at Lucy apologetically. “I’m really sorry about this.” Then he attacked with a flying kick.

Before she could block or dodge, Lucy took the kick to the face. She flew backwards across the habitat and slammed into the bars, before dropping into the pool.

“Oh dear! I didn’t mean to kick her that hard,” Private gasped in alarm.

Skipper shook his head in disgust. “That’s not how you do it all Rookie. Get back up here and we’ll try it again.” There was no response. “Rookie?”

The penguins gazed over the edge of their island into the pool. Lucy was floating face down; unconscious. Private gasped in terror. Skipper face-flippered. “Rico, go fish the Rookie out. Let’s see if she’s still alive so we can get back to training her.”

“Okay.” Rico dove into the pool and the next instant flung the battered fairy penguin back onto dry land. “Oo-hat.” With that sound Rico vomited up a stick which he then starting poking Lucy with. That being his method of finding out if someone was still alive or not.

Kowalski performed CPR until she finally coughed up water and resumed breathing.

Private was close to tears. “I’m really, really sorry. I didn’t mean to.” He sniffled a few times.

Lucy looked at him blearily, still not well after her near drowning experience. “It’s okay Private. I know it was just an accident. I’m not angry with you.”

Private stopped sniffling. “Really?”

She nodded. “Really.”

Overcome with emotion, he gave her a big hug. Skipper looked on at this clearly nauseated.

“If we’re through with all the touchy-feely stuff, can we get back to training now?” he asked through a grimace.

Both Lucy and Private looked a bit embarrassed, but answered simultaneously, “Aye Skipper.”

“Okay then. I’m guessing that Private isn’t going to be good as an opponent this time?”

Private nodded sheepishly.

“Fine then,” Skipper looked critically at the other two penguins. “Kowalski. You’re up.”

Kowalski was wide-eyed in amazement, but stepped forward anyway. “If you say so Skipper.” He nodded politely to the fairy penguin across from him.

“This time let’s see you dodge or block. No screw ups. Got it Rookie?” Skipper glared to get his point across.

Lucy gulped and nodded. “Yes sir.”

“Begin!”

Kowalski rushed forward and aimed a punch at Lucy. This time she managed to dodge. Skipper nodded at this. Then Kowalski kicked out, and once again she took the full force of the attack and was sent flying. Skipper face-flippered

Private dove into the water to help Lucy back onto the island before she drowned. Kowalski, meanwhile, was busily jotting down some notes. He looked at his notebook for a minute, ignoring the sounds of Skipper yelling at the new recruit, before declaring his findings.

“Skipper. It seems that we might only have to work on one thing with Lucy.”

There was silence as everyone waited for the science guy to continue.

“She managed to evade my punch, but when I kicked she didn’t seem to react. The same holds true when Private attacked her with a flying kick.”

Skipper looked at Kowalski with a deadpan expression. “So? I already figured that out. What’s your point Kowalski?”

Refusing to be fazed, he continued with his conclusions. “Her reaction time for the punch. It was of a level almost similar to that of someone who has studied martial arts. Except for her reaction time to kick attacks. That seems off by, oh, a 100% margin.” He turned to the bruised and bewildered fairy penguin. “You wouldn’t have, by any chance, studied martial arts?”

Lucy was startled by this question. “No. Why would I have?” Then came the feeling again. “But what if I have? I really don’t remember much of anything about my life before the poisoning incident. Could it be possible that I do know and have forgotten it along with everything else?”

Skipper was studying her with interest. He knew she said that some of her memory was gone, and he was thinking about the time his own memory had been stolen. Even though he had forgotten how to fight, his body had remembered. That was how he had fought off a shark. Now he was wondering if Lucy could be in a similar situation. Finally he came to a decision.

“Okay. I have an idea. Rookie, your next opponent will be me.”

Everyone gasped in shock. The males were especially shocked knowing that this was completely unfair to the new recruit. For they knew Skipper’s skills in battle, while she didn’t.

“And we’re not going to stop. No matter have much of a beating you take.”

There was more gasping, but Skipper ignored it. He had a plan, and he was fairly confident that it would work.

Lucy nodded her head sadly. “Aye Skipper,” she murmured.

He smiled grimly. “But first, let’s take the fight inside. To avoid any accidental drowning.” And with that they all trooped down into the bunker.

Skipper turned to face the meek female. “Ready?” She nodded. “Good.” Then he attacked.

It didn’t go well for Lucy. But after a while, something happened. Her body started reacting to the fight. Suddenly she blocked one of Skipper’s punches.

“Hah!” he smiled triumphantly. “I knew it!”

She was confused. So were the others, except for Kowalski who had already come to a similar conclusion as Skipper. “What just happened? How did I manage to do that?”

“It’s simple,” Skipper explained. “You know how to fight. But that knowledge must have been erased along with other parts of your memory. But your body still remembers those skills that you were taught.”

“Oh. It’s like with how to ride a bicycle. You never forget how to do that no matter how long ago you’ve ridden one. Because your body remembers. Right Skipper?” Private interjected.

Skipper’s brow furrowed in annoyance. “Yes Private. It’s like with riding a bicycle.” He returned his attention to Lucy. “So what we’ll do now Rookie is keep up the mock combat until you, or at least your body, is back to fighting form.”

Lucy blanched with fear. After having fought against Skipper for the length of time that she had, she was not eager to continue. But she didn’t really have a choice in the matter.

“Alright. Back to battle.” He charged her again.

What followed was one of the most grueling and painful moments of her time at the zoo so far. Nine times out of ten one of Skipper’s attacks would hit her. Not once did she ever manage a successful counter attack. But finally after she did manage to block him five times in a row he stopped.

“Alright. Time to call it quits. We’ve been at this for….Kowalski, how long have we’ve been at it?”

Kowalski glanced up at the clock. “Three hours, forty-five minutes, and sixteen seconds.”

“Yeah, I think that’s enough for today. You’re relieved of active duty. Go rest up. But tomorrow we’re picking up where we left off. You still have a long way to go.” Skipper headed back up to take a swim.

Lucy remained where she lay; a pathetic heap of battered and bruised feathers. As she lay there, too weak to even crawl over to her box, she dully wondered if she’d be able to survive Skipper’s training.

Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  2nd Lt. NYC on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 pm

In a way, Kowalski is the medic of the group. He even has a defibrillator (albeit a faulty one). And who does all those bandages for him if he doesn't do them himself? I'm just speculating, though.
I see you squeezed in a mention on the Malanis Sisters. Very subtle. I like it!
Overall, I like your fic so far. For a speed reader like me, it's simple enough to finish a chapter in five minutes and still have time to spare to absorb what I've just read. Keep up the good work Very Happy

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Norway: You're still sulking about that?
Iceland: I told you, I'm not!
Norway: Ja, still sulking.
-HetaOni: Nordic-Baltic Eight
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TURTLES.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Kowalski: Good golly, you're vomiting everything but the kitchen sink!
*Rico horks up the kitchen sink*
2nd Lt. NYC
Commander Skipper
Commander Skipper

Humor : ENGLAND SANK MY INVINCIBLE ARMADA... in Battleship. R.I.P Invincible Armada.

Roleplay characters
Name: NYC (my persona :P)

http://penguinsunited.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks. I'll try. Though I've seem to have hit a bit of a roadblock with chapter 4.... So that one may take a while.

Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 pm

(chapter 4 is finished! I really hope to get chapter 5 finished before December.)

Chapter 4: The Solo Mission

Days went by, with each one involving rigorist training. Lucy lost track of how often she got pummeled. At least the training relieved the boredom of entertaining the visitors to the zoo. But then, she was used to that sort of thing from living at Sea World. The combination of training and entertaining visitors brought on the nagging feeling of familiarity again. As if she had done this sort of thing before. Lucy tried to ignore it. It couldn’t possibly be true that she had lead a similar life before this. But the feeling persisted, and made her question her life prior to the incident.

“What did I do before the habitat was poisoned and everyone started dieing?” she thought as she smiled and waved to the people mimicking the others. “Why is it that I can’t remember? What caused my loss of memory anyway?” To these questions, she had no answers.

Skipper tried to include her on missions. On one such mission, they set out to gather more fish from the zoo’s food storage room. All was going well until…Lucy spotted a spider.

“AHHHHHH!!!!! SPIDER!!!!!!”

The fairy penguin started flailing her wings in panic, screaming at the top of her voice all the while. Finally she ran away. But the racket had compromised the mission and the other penguins had to retreat.

Needless to say, Skipper was not happy when they got back to HQ.

“What the deuce?! You blew the mission Rookie!” Skipper glared.

“I’m sorry. I can’t help it. I just get that way around bugs and spiders. Everyone is afraid of something.” Lucy said looking embarrassed.

Skipper’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “Who told you?”

“Who told me what?”

“About my phobia.”

“You have a phobia about something?” she said wide-eyed with amazement.

Skipper blinked in the realization that he had almost let his fear of needles slip. “Uh, never mind. Anyway Rookie, I think it’d be best for the team if you didn’t go on any more missions for a while. At least not until you get some more training under your belt.”

Lucy was sadden by this, especially since her training tends to involve getting beaten up until she learns how to fight back properly, by she accepted this as best she could.

“Aye aye Skipper,” she said with a sigh.

More days passed, with more training and entertaining. Then one day Skipper called a meeting.

“Alright men,” he said looking serious, “Today I have something special in mind. Today, I’m going to let Rookie here have her very own solo mission.”

Lucy’s heart skipped a beat at his. Finally all her training was going to pay off.

“Your mission Rookie, will be to distract the lemurs and prevent them from following us while the rest of us go on a snack run.”

Lucy’s beak dropped open in disbelief. That wasn’t a real mission; that was a chore. It would mean she’d have to spend the whole day hanging around the lemurs while the boys went on a real mission.

Private spoke up suddenly. “Is that really fair Skipper? It’s not going to be any fun for Lucy staying behind while we go get snacks. And she’ll probably have to entertain King Julien. Nobody in their right mind would want that job. Even Maurice doesn‘t want that job and he‘s a lemur. It‘s going to way worse for a penguin.”

Skipper glared at Private. “Nobody said anything about a mission being ‘fair’ Private. Life isn’t always fair. That’s just how things are.”

“But---”

“Enough with your buts Private.”

Private tried not to giggle but failed. This just earned him another glare.

Skipper turned back to Lucy. “Listen up Rookie. If you can manage this solo mission with no foul ups, I’ll consider taking you on group missions.”

Lucy brightened at this. She would dearly love to be included in the activities of the rest of the team.

“We’ll even bring you back something from the snack run,” he concluded with a jaunty smile.

“Mission accepted sir! No matter how mentally frustrating or annoying this will be, I’ll try and make you proud,” she saluted.

“That’s the spirit Rookie! It’s currently 09:30 hrs. Remain at the lemur habitat until our mission is complete. We’ll rendezvous here 10:30hrs. Now move out team!”

The four penguins leapt out of the hatch. The fairy penguin followed as quickly as she could. Despite having been under the tutelage of Skipper for a couple of weeks, she still wasn’t able to jump about like they can. That was another thing she got yelled at for.

She took a cautionary look around first, then made her way to the lemur habitat as fast as possible. Luck was on her side; the three lower primates hadn’t yet noticed that the four males had left the zoo. Lucy took a running jump and just managed to grab the top of the wall. She hauled herself up and gazed about her.

Julien has laying on his lounge chair sipping a drink while Maurice fanned him. Mort was trying to resist the temptation to touch the king’s feet. The habitat itself consisted of astro turf, fake trees, a large cement slab that was supposed to be a mountain, and a fake volcano. On top of the cement mountain sat Julien’s throne. Near the base was the smoothie bar. There was also a bouncy castle and tiki lanterns. Lucy supposed it was an okay habitat. If you liked that kind of layout.

She took a deep breath, then approached the lounge chair. “Um, hello. I came to visit you King Julien.” She forced herself to smile.

The lemurs looked over in surprise. “Well hello blue penguin. Finally come to visit your royal and magnificent king?” Julien asked with a saucy grin.

“Yes. Yes I have.”

Maurice’s eyes narrowed in instant distrust. “Really? Now why would you want to come and visit all of a sudden?”

“Uh, well---”

Before Lucy could think up a good lie, the egotistical ring-tailed lemur cut her off.

“Who is caring? One of my subjects is wishing to bask in the glow of my kingliness. That is good enough reason for me.”

“You’re absolutely right Your Majesty. That’s why I’m here today.” the fairy penguin tried to smile ingratiatingly.

The Aye-Aye lemur still distrusted this, but Julien believed her. “You see Maurice? I am right and you are wrong. Like always.” He smiled smugly. “So what is my loyal subject wanting of her greatest of kings?”

Lucy thought quickly. “Well, I was hoping that you could teach me to dance. Skipper doesn’t want me to dance, but I want to. And you’re the best dancer around. So, will you?” She looked up at him imploringly.

There was a moment of silence. Maurice was staring in disbelief. He couldn’t believe that someone would actually want dancing lessons from Julien. Mort was glaring at the fairy penguin in resentment. He didn’t like others taking his king’s attention away. Julien, on the other hand, was nearly crying tears of joy.

“Did you hear that Maurice? The blue penguin worships me so much that she is wishing to become my disciple. Ah, if only all my subjects were like you. Then the world would be being a much better.”

Another moment of silence filled with a mixture of disbelief, happiness, resentment, and, on Lucy’s part, relief.

“Very well my birdie disciple. Let me be showing you all the things you are to be learning.” And with that Julien started to dance.

Lucy thought that the mission was going quite well.

Meanwhile…..

The penguins had made their way successfully to the convenience store. The easy part is getting to the store. The hard part is getting back with the supplies. That’s why the mission would take an hour despite the nearness of the store. But the newest member didn’t know this of course.

With the clerk knocked out, Skipper turned to the others and began issuing orders.

“Private. Pick up some of those Peanut Butter Lunacorns that you’ve been going on about. I’m looking forward to biting off the head of one of those moon horses.”

Private grimaced at the comment about biting the heads off the Lunacorn chocolates. “Aye Skipper,” he said before dashing off.

“Kowalski. Sweet and salty.”

With a nod, Kowalski left.

Rico stood looking at the shelf that used to have Marshmeow-Meows on them. He sighed despondently.

“You know very well that even if Marshmeow-Meows were still being made that you couldn’t have any,” Skipper said sternly.

“Yeah,” came the sad reply.

“So buck up solider. You’re on for the sodas.”

“Okay,” Rico nodded; still thinking about the Marshmeow-Meows.

Skipper watched him leave. Then he said to himself, “And I’ll grab the sardines.” He smiled and rushed to find those little canned fish that they all loved.

Over in the candy aisle, Private had picked up as many boxes of Peanut Butter Lunacorns as he could carry. They were a new sweet he had seen advertised on TV while his favorite show, The Lunacorns, was on. The candy was chocolate shaped like a Lunacorn and filled with peanut butter. In a way, it was almost like a Winky. That was one of the reasons he had been so eager to try them.

Before he left the candy aisle he looked around for something to bring back for Lucy. He saw some Marshmallow Lunacorns, but decided against it. They were too much like Marshmeow-Meows, and if Rico saw them….well, Private didn’t even want to image what would happen. So he knew he couldn’t bring those back.

Then he spotted a red box with a colorful rainbow on the front. “Rainbow candies? Maybe she’ll like these,” he thought. So he picked up a box and placed it on top of the pile of chocolates. Private had picked up a bit too much, and had a hard time balancing all that candy on his way back. But he managed it in the end without dropping anything.

Back at the zoo…..

Thirty minutes had already passed. During that time. Lucy had learned lots of dance moves. Though she actually would have rather not.

“I wonder how the mission is going for the others?” she thought while learning how to mambo. She was starting to get tired. But she had no choice but to keep going.

Maurice, with nothing more to do, had laid down in the lounge chair that had been recently vacated. As much as he disbelieved the fairy penguin’s story about wanting dance lessons from his king, he had to admit that he liked not having anything to do while she was here.

Mort, on the other hand, was staring up at the duo with anger in his large eyes. He did not like having this strange blue penguin here. The mouse lemur didn’t want King Julien paying that much attention to anyone else. For that took away his chances of hugging the feet that he loved so much.

“I do not like fairy penguin,” the mouse lemur grumped.

Maurice looked over at him sternly. “Would you relax. She won’t be here for long. Until then don’t you ruin my time off. Got it Mort?”

Mort looked at him with a frown, then turned back to the odd dancing pair.

“I still do not like fairy penguin,” he grumped again.

Feeling jealous, Mort decided to go to the penguin habitat and talk to the other penguins to try and get them to come and get the fifth one. So off he scurried unnoticed by all except the penguin in question.

“Uh-oh. This could be trouble,” she thought with some worry. But at the same time it made her miss the beat.

“Come come now my penguiny pupil. You must groove to the music and shake your feathered booty to the beat. Like me! You illustrious king!” proclaimed the lemur king grandly.

Lucy mentally sighed, and started dancing in step again.

Mort, meanwhile, had reached the hidden base and found it empty. “Hello? Penguins?” the mouse lemur looked around curiously. Suddenly it crossed his mind that maybe, just maybe, this was all a set-up on the penguins’ part. He didn’t know why, and didn’t care why. All he cared about were Julien’s feet. Off he rushed by to his own habitat.

“King Julien! King Julien! I have something to tell you!” Mort yelled loudly as he grabbed the ring-tailed lemur’s feet throwing him off his beat.

Lucy realized what had happened; Mort had found out that the others were gone, and was about to blow her cover. She almost liked Mort; he’s adorable yet moronic. So she knew she was going to hate herself for what she was going to have to do in order to keep up the ruse.

The fairy penguin lunged forward and grabbed the tiny lemur by the tail pulling him off Julien’s feet. “You’re not allowed to touch the king’s magnificent feet,” she said before kicking Mort out of the enclosure.

There was a moment of silence as the other two lemurs stared at her in shock.

Now Maurice was doubly distrusting the fairy penguin’s motives. But he still couldn’t argue with the fact that it got him out of serving the king. He still felt bad for Mort though, like he always did when he got kicked for touching the king’s feet.

Julien stared in amazement. The he gasped and said, “My subject is worshipping me so much that she is protecting the royal feet!” The he turned to the aye-aye lemur. “Maurice! Why are you not ever protecting the royal feet?”

Maurice sigh in aggravation. But he didn’t reply. He glanced up and realized that he probably should. “Uh, because your Majesty, I don’t want to risk hurting the royal feet.”

The lemur king paused to consider this. “You know, you are having a point Maurice. You might injure my glorious feet trying to protect them. So you maybe shouldn’t be doing that. Good idea. Glad I thought of it.” He nodded to himself.

Maurice merely sighed in aggravation again, and went back to ignoring the king and his “pupil”.

Lucy felt terrible about having to kick Mort, but she had to complete her mission. Skipper had told her “no foul ups”. And she meant to live up to his expectations and not foul up.

So they dance lessons resumed. It was currently 10:10 hrs.

Meanwhile…..

With their tab settled, the others had set off for home. It was slow going though with so many provisions. And naturally they had to be careful not to be spotted. Which they would have been quite quickly if they had gone over land. Which they didn’t. They took the underground route; the sewer. So who did they have to worry about being spotted by if not by humans? By the sewer rats of course.

“Kowalski, anything on that rat radar of yours?” Skipper questioned brusquely?

“All’s quiet according,” the tall penguin said staring down at a handheld device.

“Good. But we’d better get back to the HQ pronto. It’s almost time for the rendezvous with the Rookie. Plus, I’m worried about her. “

“Aww. You do care after all Skipper,” Private said with a smile.

“Not like that Private,” Skipper frowned. “I’m worried about what kind of condition her mind will be in after spending a whole hour in the company of the lemurs.”

“Oh,” Private said dejected.

“So let’s see some hustle men. We don’t need the new rookie going insane from spending too much time with those fur-faced terror monkeys. We already have one psycho on the team, and that’s all we need.”

Rico nodded his head with a slight grin. “Yup.”

And with that they picked up the pace.

Back at the zoo…..

“I think you are starting to get the hanging of it. You have done well birdie disciple. Your king is well pleased,” Julien commended.

Lucy nodded her head wearily. She was worn out yet. Skipper had been making her work on her endurance, so almost a full hour of dancing and she wasn’t ready to collapse yet. She was a bit out of breath, and mentally exhausted.

“So come. You have earned a smoothie. Maurice! Two mango smoothies,” the obnoxious lemur ordered.

Maurice rolled his eyes in annoyance, but got up anyway and headed to the smoothie bar to fill out the order. At that moment, two things happened; Mort had gotten back to the lemur habitat and was rushing up to King Julien yelling his name, and the penguins had just slipped into one of the secret underground leading to their HQ.

“King Julien, King Julien! Important news!” Mort panted out of breath.

Julien turned an angry glare at the little lemur. “What is it now Mort? Can you not be seeing that I have important things to be doing? I was about to get a mango smoothie.”

Mort looked up with his large eyes apologetically. “I’m sorry,” he gasped. “But I have to tell you. The other penguins. They’re not where they should be!”

Lucy gulped nervously. The cat was out of the bag now. It looked like she had failed her mission and let Skipper down. She got ready to make a break for it.

The king lemur’s eyes’ narrowed in suspicion. “Are you being sure about this? You are not making this up because you are having the jealousies over my new pupil, are you?”

Mort shook his head frantically. “No! No! I’d never lie to the feet and their owner.”

Julien sighed in exasperation. “Fine. Then we shall be checking out this wild accusation of yours on the part of my most subjected subject. Come!” And with that he lead the way out of the lemur habitat and to the penguin enclosure.

The entire time the conversation was going on, Lucy was trying to figure out a back-up plan. “I’ve messed up a mission. Again! Now what do I do? Is it possible I can knock them out for a while? By how do I explain that to them when they wake up? Oh geez, oh geez, oh geez.”

They reached the island, and Julien imperiously kicked the food bowl out of the way and jumped down. Mort and Lucy followed. And there, playing cards and almost waiting for them it seemed, were the others.

Skipper looked up from his hand. “There you are Rookie. Who gave you permission to leave the barracks?” He glared sternly at her.

Lucy was speechless, and just stood there with her beak gaping.

Julien turned to Mort. “See? The other silly penguins are here like they always are. I knew you were having the jealousies.” Mort tried to answer, but couldn’t.

He turned away from the mouse lemur, who was still trying to explain himself, and faced the males. “Your new penguin wanted to be dancing so she came to me. Her king, who is of course the best dancer in the zoo. And now I am supposing that you are wanting her back?”

Skipper looked him straight in the eye with a deadpan expression. “Well yeah. She needs proper training. And food. Are you willing to feed her the fish she needs?”

That set Julien back. As much as he loved having someone worship him, he hated the smell of fish. He began to have second thoughts.

“Eh, you know, I am maybe thinking you should keep her. For the feeding, because I can not stand the fishy stink. But you should be letting her come to her king for dance lessons.”

The penguin leader raised one eyebrow in annoyance. “Well sure Ringtail. Anything you say.”

Before he left, the lemur turned to Lucy and stated grandly, “Farewell my most worshipful of subjects. Do not forget to honor me in whatever it is that you are doing all day.” And with that he left.

“Uh…sure,” she stammered.

Mort merely glared at her before following his king.

The fairy penguin breathed a sigh of relief. Finally. It was over. At least she hoped so.

Skipper turned to her with a smile on his face. “Well done Rookie. You’ve completed your mission accordingly. And now for your reward.”

Lucy held her breath in anticipation.

Skipper walked over to the storage closet and came back with a red box that had a picture of a rainbow on the front. He handed it to the stunned female with a look of pride.

“For a job well done, here is a little something we brought back for you from the snack. Enjoy.”

Lucy looked down at the box of rainbow candies that she held in her flipper with some dismay. Finally she found her voice and addressed her commander.

“Um, sir? I thought you said that my reward for completing the mission would be that you take me on group missions.”

Skipper glared at her. “I said I’d consider it Rookie; not that I would. And I am considering it. But you still need more training. All your skills have to be evaluated and assessed. Once all that’s been done, then you can come on group missions.” And with that he walked away to do inventory.

Lucy just stood there; dazed and confused. “I just spent an hour sucking up to one of the most obnoxious mammals I’ve ever met, and even had to kick an innocent and adorable creature, and for all that all I get is candy?” She looked again at the box she held. She sighed sadly before opening the box and eating the candies inside. “Oh well. At least the candy is tasty.”

Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  MoonwalkingPanda on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:45 am

Aww, poor Lucy, just having to suffer with ringtail. Say, when is the extra visitor going to come? (you know, KM. Wink)

Lieutenant Kowalski
Lieutenant Kowalski

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Haven't figured that out yet Panda. It's in chapter 5; which I haven't named yet. But it may be delayed since I just got PoM: Dr. Blowhole Returns Again! today in the mail. So I may be a bit distracted for a while. ^^;

Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm

(Still having some issues with chapter five. Until then, how about an excerpt from Lucy's diary? I write in third person perspective usually, so this is something from a first person perspective for a change. Let's see if I can pull it off....)

Lucy’s Diary

Entry 1:

It’s been about a month since I arrived at the Central Park Zoo. I really should have started a diary sooner, but I haven’t really had the time, what with training and all. Very painful training. I’m not a good fighter so I’m more like Skipper’s punching bag than student. He has high hopes for me, I think, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to live up to them.

Oh, right. I should probably tell about my roommates. Or teammates rather. I feel like I should write all this stuff down. I don’t want to forget anything. I’ve forgotten too much as it is. Whatever it is that is.

Kowalski is the tallest and smartest. My little brother Edmund was smart too. I can’t remember how smart though. But anyway, Kowalski is pretty smart. But his inventions tend to go wrong. I’m not even sure what the last one was supposed to do, but whatever it was supposed to do it didn’t do it. It blew up instead. Skipper yelled at him for it. Skipper yells a lot.

Speaking of explosions, another member is Rico. He has a Mohawk and a scar on the left side of his face. I wonder how he got that scar. Somehow, I don’t know how, but he can vomit up all sorts of items. Like belt sanders, baseball bats, and dynamite. He has a plastic doll named Ms. Perky. It seems to be his girlfriend. I don’t even want to know how that came about. There’s something wrong with his speech. It’s like he can’t talk English very well. I beginning to understand him though. I think.

Then there’s Private. He’s the youngest. He sort of reminds me of Ed in some ways, so I think of him as my little brother. Though I haven’t told him that. I wonder what he’d think if I did tell him? He’s very kind and sweet. He watches a cartoon called The Lunacorns, which seems to encourage people to get along. It’s not a bad show; I kinda like it. Skipper hates it though.

I guess I should talk about him now. Skipper is the leader here; we all do what he says. He pushes me very hard to become a better fighter. I don’t really think I’ll ever be as good a fighter as the others, but he doesn’t like to hear excuses. So I have to train with the others. And end up getting beat up. I don’t think he has a high opinion of females. But that’s just a hunch.

And he seems suspicious of me for some reason. Like I’ve done something, or like I’m about to do something. I’m not capable of doing anything. As for having done something, well, I don’t know. I don’t really remember anything before the poisoning incident. Could it be possible that I have done something bad and have forgotten it? I don’t think so, but how do I know when my memory is like it is?

He seems to trust me enough to give me a solo mission though. If you can even call it that. I had to distract the lemurs while the others went to go get snacks. It seems something bad happened the last time they went on a snack run, as they called it. And it involved the lemurs. I spent an hour pretending to be a sycophant to an egotistical mammal and DANCING with him. I like to dance, but an hour straight? And having to act like I was there to get dancing lessons from him to boot? That was almost too much. And my cover was nearly blown by the tiny lemur. But my mission was a success. But you know what my reward was? Rainbow candies. I do like them, but I had been hoping for something more. Like permission to come along on group missions.

I wish for a lot of things. I wish that I had my memory back so that I would know who I am. I wish that I was a better fighter so that I could make Skipper proud of me. And I wish…I wish I knew why I feel like I do. I hate not understanding my own feelings.

Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  MoonwalkingPanda on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:40 am

Wow, that is one good sized diary entry from Lucy! I can't even understand my own feelings at times myself. Gods, I hate going through puberty at a young age of twelve. Oh gods I'm drowning in shaaammmmee....

Lieutenant Kowalski
Lieutenant Kowalski

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:24 am

(FINALLY I've finished chapter 5! Credit for the name of the device goes to Panda. And special thanks to her for letting me use her OC.)

Chapter 5: Solution To One Problem

For the next few days, the training continued at a fast pace for the new rookie. Every time she thought she got something right, Lucy would find herself being yelled at for some mistake. Like not listening to her gut in a situation where she couldn’t see for example.

“Not like that Rookie!” Skipper admonished. The fairy penguin had just gotten smacked with a bamboo pole for the eight time.

“I’m sorry Skipper,” Lucy apologized removing her blindfold as she did so.

The boss penguin face-flippered. “Put your blindfold back on Rookie. We’re not through yet.”

“Aye aye Skipper,” came the meek reply.

And the whacking continued.

But one day a meeting was called. Lucy half hoped that it was about a mission. Though she had a sinking feeling that that wasn’t it. And her gut was right about something for once.

“Alright Rookie,” Skipper started as he began pacing back and forth. “It’s been over a month now. Your skills have improved slightly. VERY slightly. I guess I should have asked before hand if you have any special abilities that we should know about. So I’m asking now.”

“Special abilities sir?” she was clearly puzzled.

“Yes, special abilities. Like Rico’s power vomiting and Private’s hyper cute. Can you do anything special like that?”

Lucy thought long and hard. There was the nagging feeling again. If only she could remember properly! Skipper waited as patiently as he could. Finally, Lucy managed to dredge up a faint memory. It was hazy, but it was something about her mother explaining a special gift that she had. Now what was it?

Then the memory became a little clearer.

She was much younger now and standing before her mother underground somewhere . But where? It wasn’t Sea World, but the place was familiar. Her mother was talking. “---the Siren charm. Do you understand Lucy?” She nodded her head.

“Whenever you sing, any male that hears it will be drawn to you immediately. But there’s a side effect. The male will fall in love with you, but only for an hour. Then it wears off. Only males who are related to you by blood will be unaffected. So don’t sing if you can help it.”

She nodded her head again. “Yes Mama. I understand.”

Then the memory ended and she was back in the present. Lucy was glad in a way that she finally remembered something, but the memory wasn’t really connected to anything. So it wasn’t much help. Was it? She would now be able to answer Skipper’s question at least.

“Um, yes sir. I do have a special ability,” she stammered still a bit out of it from her sudden recollection.

“Oh? And what might that be?”

“It’s something called the Siren charm. I can draw males to me when I sing. But, um, they fall in love with me. Temporarily. For an hour. Then it wears off; which is good. For me,” she rambled.

Skipper raised one eyebrow. “Really? That should be useful in a combat situation. Especially if we’re up against a huge mob of enemies. Anything else Rookie?”

“Well…uh….yes. The Siren charm isn’t going to be that helpful to you. It’ll effect any male that isn’t related to me by blood. So, um, I can’t sing.”

There was a pause as the information was digested. Finally Skipper broke the silence.

“No problem. We’ll just have Kowalski figure out a solution to the problem of being able to use your ability in battle. Kowalski; options.”

Kowalski jotted down something on his notepad before looking up.

“I’ve come up with two possible solutions Skipper. But…you may not like the first one.”

“And why is that?”

“Because it’ll involve the use of, ahem, needles.”

There was a moment of silence. One of Skipper’s eyes twitched at the mention of needles, and he seemed to be trying to keep calm. He gulped nervously before speaking in as steady voice as he could manage.

“Needles are a no-go and you know that. What’s the other option?”

Kowalski looked back down at his notes before replying.

“Well, I could always build an apparatus for the four of us to wear that will nullify the Siren charm. We’ll be able to hear her sing, but be unaffected. I, for one, don’t wish to fall in love with her even if it is only temporary. No offense Lucy.”

Lucy didn’t know whether she should be offend or not, so she merely said, “None taken.”

Skipper considered this alternative.

“I like it. Except that we all know how your inventions turn out.”

Everyone nodded; even Lucy. She had been there just long enough to see one of Kowalski’s inventions go haywire and explode.

“So,” Skipper continued, “I’m going to call in some assistance on this one.”

“But Skipper,” Kowalski started to protest. But he was cut off.

“No. I don’t think we can afford another invention gone wrong. Not this time. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a call to make.”

Skipper left the room. Lucy looked around in confusion. Call who?

“So that’s the situation. Do you think you can come by and lend a flipper?”

Skipper spoke quietly into the cell phone. He kept the phone as a secret, and only used it when he had to. As far as he knew, only he and three others knew about that phone. Not even his own men knew about it. And that was the way he intended to keep it.

A female voice spoke on the other end.

“Sure. I’ve got a teleporter set up that’ll take me to New York. I was in a bit of a rush when I assembled it though, so I hope that it works correctly. Keep your phone on vibrate. Just in case.”

“Will do. Here’s hoping that I see you soon,” was Skipper’s reply.

But before he could hang up, a question from the person he had called stopped him.

“What’s her name? You called her Rookie, but what’s her actual name?”

“Lucy. Why?” suspicion began to creep into Skipper’s voice.

“No reason. Huh. Lucy. See you in a bit.”

Skipper heard the dial tone before he could question the other further. His mind was racing a mile a minute, as he began considering all the possibilities as to why he had been asked the real name of the penguin he simply called “Rookie”.

Back in HQ Lucy was watching The Lunacorns with Private. She had begun to feel a little nervous after Skipper left to make his mysterious phone call, but when she saw the look of suspicion on his face when he came back her nervousness increased.

“Good news. Help is on it’s way and should be arriving any minute now.”

Everyone looked expectantly at the entrance hatch to the bunker as if someone were going to come down the ladder. After a few minutes of puzzled silence, in which nothing happened, the penguins went back to what they were previously doing.

Skipper kept glancing over at the fairy penguin. When she caught him looking at her it made her uncomfortable.

It wasn’t until several hours later that the mystery guest arrived.

It was a female penguin, around Kowalski’s height, with cyan colored eyes and an unusual necklace. It appeared to be some type of emerald with a fern inside of it. Lucy felt that nagging feeling again as she looked at the stranger.

Skipper made the introductions.

“Rookie, this is my cousin Krystillis Malanis. But I’d advise you to call her Krystal. Or else.”

“Um, hello. My name’s Lucy. Pleased to meet you,” she smiled shyly as she nervously offered her flipper.

Krystal stared hard at the other female. “So…it is you. And you really don’t remember?”

There was confusion all around.

“Remember what?” the fairy penguin dropped her flipper feeling unsure of the situation.

The taller female continued to stare for a while before shaking her head. “Nothing. Never mind. One problem at a time. Let’s fix it so you can’t bewitch the others. To the lab.”

With that her and Kowalski went to the lab. There was a moment of silence. Private and Lucy didn’t know what to think about what was just said, and Skipper’s suspicion was rising.

“Krystal, not to intrude on what is most likely private matters, but what did you mean back there?” Kowalski looked at her with concern.

Krystal merely sighed. “I can’t tell you that. Not right now. And certainly not all of it. After we build the nullification devices, I’m going to work on a cure for Lucy. Then you’ll know.”

She looked so grim as she said this that Kowalski decided not to question her further about it. Instead, he decided to ask something else.

“You know, the way Skipper talked we all expected you here hours ago.”

“I know. The teleporter that I made malfunctioned and sent me to the Empire State Building.”

“Something you built malfunctioned?” Kowalski asked incredulously.

“When I built it I was in a hurry. Enemies were after me and I was short on time.”

“Oh. I’m sorry,” he apologized sheepishly.

He then decided that maybe he should just stop trying to make small talk and concentrate on the project.

Even with two penguins working on it, it took sometime. Over a day in fact. But in the end they managed to get it done. Or at least, they hoped so.

“Let’s test these babies out,” Kowalski said with a proud grin.

The others hadn’t been idle. Skipper had used the time to try and train Lucy. The results were mainly of her getting beaten to a pulp. But there was a little improvement. Just a little.

Rico had spent time doing target practice. The targets were dolphin shaped. Private had gone up against the training dummies. They were actually bowling pins painted to look like ninjas, but that was neither here nor there.

When the next day came and the two penguins burst out of the lab, the others were taking a break. They all looked up as Kowalski started talking.

“Behold! Krystal and I have created the De-Song-Lover! A device guaranteed to shield us from all effects of the Siren song.”

There was a moment of silence as everyone looked at the device. It looked like a pair of headphones that, instead of just fitting on the head and covering the ears, or in this case ear holes since penguins don‘t have ears, they had a strap around the back and underneath. So that, when worn, it had to be put on like a helmet and buckled under the chin. There were four of them; one for each male penguin.

“And you’re sure this will work?” Skipper asked.

“I helped to make these things. Trust me; they’ll work,” Krystal said with complete confidence.

Skipper nodded. “Alright. Time for a test run then. Everyone suit up.”

Kowalski passed out a De-Song-Lover to his three brothers in black in white. Private had a little trouble putting his on at first, and Krystal had to come and help him.

Finally everyone was outfitted with a device, except for the two females. Skipper turned to Lucy and said, “Okay Rookie, hit us with a pretty tune.”

Lucy stared in shock. “Um, excuse me?”

Skipper glared at her. “I said sing Rookie. Now sing.”

“Oh. Umm…”

She faltered for a bit. “Just what the heck am I supposed to sing?” she thought desperately.

Finally, after a very uncomfortable minute, Lucy sang the scales. It didn’t take her long to finish of course.

There was a pause, in which Lucy waited to be yelled at by Skipper. She wasn’t paying attention to the expressions of her teammates, but Krystal was. And what she noticed was that her cousin and the other three males had expressions of awe on their faces.

Eventually Private broke the silence. “Wow. You’ve got an incredibly lovely singing voice.”

“Mm-hmm,” Rico said while nodding in agreement.

Skipper didn’t say anything. He continued to stare at the small female. Finally he turned to the others.

“No one is in love with Rookie, right?”

Everybody shook their heads “no”.

“Then how do we know that these things really work? Or, maybe Rookie was lying about this whole Siren thing,” he glared at Lucy.

Before anybody could say anything, Krystal took a few steps, and stood between Skipper and the trembling fairy penguin.

“She’s legit so don’t get your feathers ruffled,” she stated calmly.

Skipper’s eyes narrowed. He knew that there was something his cousin wasn’t telling him, and that she probably had a good reason for not doing so. But he trusted her, so he dropped the accusation.

“We still need a second test,” he paused. Then smiled in a way that made Lucy nervous. “And I think I know how.”

“You want me to do what?!”

“Don’t worry. If it works, we’ll take care of things. Just make sure to run back to us and not in some other direction.”

Lucy gulped nervously before taking a running leap at the wall that surrounded the lemur habitat. The five remaining penguins, the males all wearing a De-Song-Lover, waited outside.

Less than five minutes later they heard the fairy penguin scream. They got into battle position; not a second to soon. Over the wall, at top speed, came Lucy followed by the lemurs. She ran towards the group of waiting penguins, the mammals hot on her little webbed toes.

The penguins quickly attacked the lemurs and knocked them unconscious. Lucy collapsed on the ground panting for breath.

“Well, I guess these things do work. Okay Rookie, you’re relieved of duty. Seems like there will be a place for you in this unit after all. As bait and distraction.”

And with that, Skipper walked away smiling.

Krystal looked down at the smaller female in pity. “Never mind. I’ll get started on a cure for you memory loss tomorrow. Rest up.” She followed her cousin back to base.

Private helped Lucy up, and then the rest of the penguins went down to the bunker. It had been a long day.

Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  MoonwalkingPanda on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:16 am

Yay! A cure has been made!

Lieutenant Kowalski
Lieutenant Kowalski

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:19 pm

(Latest diary entry for Lucy. I feel I have to post SOMETHING while I'm working on the next chapter. Just so the thread doesn't get too old.)

Entry 2:

Same old, same old. And by that I mean I’ve been getting pulverized. Skipper calls it training though. I don’t know how to “listen to my gut”. So I ended up getting hit with a stick. Repeatedly. And yelled at for it. All part of the learning process.

Private has tried to cheer me up, and I’m really thankful for that. The others seem to ignore me. Private invites me to play cards with them, though Skipper glares, but I’m not good at cards. I lose. A lot. I turn down the invitation to card games now, which Skipper doesn’t seem to mind at all, and I just sit in my box and draw.

I’m working on a comic; Lunacorn War. I won’t be showing this to Private. He’d be horrified by it. He’d hate to see the little Lunacorns getting hurt. But it’s DEMONS that the Lunacorns are up against; so of course it’s not going to be nice. I’ll just try and make sure that he never sees it.

Skipper called a meeting. He wanted to know if I have any special abilities. And I actually remembered something! Though it was fragmented and not a part of anything. But at least I remembered something. It seems I have an ability called the Siren charm; when I sing males are drawn, and they fall in love with me for the temporary space of one hour.

But it’s not something that can be used in combat. I tried to tell him that. But he went off and made some secret phone call or something. Hours later a female penguin named Krystal showed up. Seems she’s Skipper’s cousin and is good with science stuff. When I saw her I got that weird feeling. Like I know her from somewhere. But that’s impossible. Right?

Her and Kowalski created this device with a weird name; De-Song-Lover. When a male wears it, it nullifies the effects of the Siren charm. We tried it out(I sang the scales)and it seemed to work. But Skipper didn’t trust it. Actually, Skipper didn’t trust ME at first until Krystal stepped in. I wonder why she did that?

So we did a second test. I had to go to the lemur habitat and sing. And yeah, all three of them fell in love with me. Julien wanted to make me his queen! UGH! No way am I marrying a mammal. And Mort started clinging to my feet. I had to kick him away before I could make a run for it like planned. But I got away, and lead them to the others who knocked them out.

I am NEVER going through that again! I don’t care what Skipper says!

…Krystal said she was going to work on a cure for my memory loss. I hope it works, yet I’m kind of scared too. Why did I forget in the first place? There are a lot of questions, but do I really want the answers to them?

…And….and the other feelings….the ones I can’t put my flipper on…Will I understand them after I get my memory back?

Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 pm

(Just so you know, when I originally started this chapter I didn't think that this was how it would end up. But somehow it did. So enjoy the twist that I didn't expect, as well as other aspects to this chapter.)

Chapter 6: Cured

That night Lucy tossed and turned. Soon she’d have her memory back. She wanted to know the truth about herself and her past. But at the same time, she was afraid to know. “I don’t know why I don’t remember anything. But maybe it’s for a good reason. Maybe I’m better off not knowing the truth.” Crying silently, though she didn’t know why, she eventually fell asleep.

The next day was much like all the days previous, except for the feeling of tension in the air. It was so thick you could almost cut it with a knife. Everyone was on edge it seemed. Skipper yelled more than usual.

After breakfast, Krystal retreated to the lab to begin work on the possible cure for Lucy. She was carefully pouring chemicals into a large beaker, when she saw a bright flash of light. It seemed to be coming from somewhere just behind her. Then she heard a *thud* and a voice that was definitely familiar.

“OW! What the Freud?! Where am I?”

She turned around swiftly instantly assuming a fighter’s stance. The owner of the voice looked like Kowalski, but certainly wasn’t. This penguin had gold eyes instead of blue. And he was wearing a strange necklace. A golden triangle made of three triangles joined at the points. He was also carrying a satchel. But other than that, he looked and sounded just like Kowalski.

Deciding that it’d be best to act first and ask questions later, Krystal tackled the look-alike and slammed him against a wall.

“Alright. Who are you and why do you look like Kowalski?” she demanding roughly while glaring at him.

“Ow. Let go Krystal,” the stranger managed to gasp out. The female had him by the neck and was keeping a tight hold.

Her eyes narrowed in distrust, as she squeezed harder.

“How do you know my name?” she practically hissed.

“Because…I-I’m…Kowalski’s cl-clone….Have…have most of h-his…memories..,” the clone barely managed to utter.

Krystal was so shocked that she let go of him. He slumped to the floor on his flippers and knees panting for breath. That’s when she noticed a number on the bottom of his right foot. 082.

She backed off a step, and tried to get the facts straight.

“You’re a clone of Kowalski?”

The half choked penguin on the floor nodded. “One of them, yes.”

“How many are there?”

“In this dimension? None. The other ninety-eight were amalgamated successfully; though ahead of schedule. Only myself and 001 were left.”

“Wait, wait, wait. One hundred clones total?!”

“Clonewalskis as the original called us. We were created to go out and learn as much as possible, then return in a certain amount of time. Then we would be rejoined as one with the original Kowalski, thus increasing his knowledge a hundred-fold.”

Somehow Krystal didn’t seem surprised that Kowalski would do something like that. She was surprised that there were still clones of him left.

“You said you and another clone were left out?”

“Correct. 001 is the one responsible for getting all of the Clonewalskis to return before it was time to do so. He had a mad plot in mind. I was late because I was in the middle of…,” he trailed off.

“The middle of what?” Krystal’s eyes narrowed with suspicion.

“Well…you see the thing is, each Clonewalski was to pick a different subject to excel in. I picked video game and computer programming. And, uh, became hooked on video games in the process. I was in the middle of a video game tournament. That’s why I was late to the amalgamation.”

There was a moment of silence as this sunk in. A Kowalski clone that was a video game nerd. But something still bothered her.

“You mentioned another dimension. Explain.”

“Oh. Well, it was decided that 001 and I should be sent to another dimension. Because it wasn’t thought to be prudent to have too many Kowalskis, or variants of him, in the same place.”

“Ah. And your eyes are gold because…?”

“When I got to the other dimension, 001 and I went separate ways. While I was on my own, I decided that I wanted to be different from my original counterpart. So I created a machine to change my eye color permanently.”

“You picked gold?”

“No. I was trying for brown. But the machine malfunctioned and turned my eyes gold instead. Now I’m stuck with this color.”

Krystal just shook her head at this. She took a good long look at the clone, then came to the conclusion that he wasn’t a threat after all.

“Okay. I think it’s best if you stay in here with me until I finish up my little project. Then we’ll both go out and you can explain to everyone, me included, just how you got back here.”

The clone nodded his head and wandered off to a corner. He sat down and took out a small device from his satchel. Krystal recognized it as a handheld game console. She rolled her eyes and resumed her work as the clone began playing a game on the handheld.

An hour after the unexpected visitor, she finally felt that she had the combination of chemicals just right. She poured some of the concoction from the beaker into a small glass tube. She then turned to the clone. He was still happily playing his game.

“Okay. I think I’ve got it. So let’s go out.”

The other nodded and shut off the handheld. He put it in his satchel as he followed her out of the lab and into the main part of the underground bunker. Everyone looked up expectantly, but their looks quickly turned to that of surprise as they saw who was following Krystal.

The males went into a fighting stance, Lucy looked back and forth between the two groups in confusion. She was clueless as to why the stranger looked like Kowalski.

“You! What are you doing here?! You’re supposed to be in some other dimension,” Skipper stated angrily.

“I can explain everything, I assure you. But…who’s this?”

The clone noticed Lucy who was standing in the back. He smiled and started to walk towards her, when Krystal pulled him back.

“There will be time for that later Romeo. For now, simple introductions will have to do. This is Lucy. Lucy this is…um, do you even have a name?”

He looked miffed; both at being jerked abruptly back and at the question.

“Yes. I’m Clonewalski 082. Or merely Clonewalski, since all the others are gone now.”

The real Kowalski seemed shocked at this.

“What happened to 001? We sent him to the same dimension as you.”

Clonewalski looked away as he muttered, “I don’t know what happened to him. We split up.”

Kowalski looked upset by this. Skipper didn’t. Probably because it was 001 that had attacked him.

“Yeah, boo-hoo. But that still doesn’t explain why you’re here. Or why your eyes are gold,” Skipper said callously.

So once again Clonewalski explained about having changed his eye color to make himself different from Kowalski. At that point, for Lucy’s benefit, the story of the clones was retold again.

“And you’re here because…?” Skipper asked; bored with the recap.

“As I was walking along one day, I saw the air shimmering in a most unusual manner. I began to think that there was a disturbance in the dimensional fabric. And I was proved correct when a rift opened right in front of me. Before I could retreat, a vortex pulled me in. It spat me out in the lab.”

Kowalski began pacing up and down as his clone finished the explanation for his sudden reappearance. He stopped with his back to the group. He then took out his abacus and began moving the beads around. Then he wrote something in his notepad. Finally he turned back around and faced everyone.

“I think I may have a theory. But you won‘t like it.”

He paused for dramatic effect, which just made Skipper glare at him.

“The dimensional rift that appeared before Clonewalski and sucked him in. I think that someone may be tampering with the dimensional fabric. And this time it’s not me.”

Almost everyone looked confused by this. Skipper and Krystal, however, had both reached the same conclusion.

“Blowhole!” They shouted in unison.

“I’m afraid so. But what his purpose could be, I just can’t say at the moment.”

“If that’s the case, then we should probably get Rookie’s memories back A-Stat.” Skipper said sternly.

There were a chorus of nods at this. Krystal approached the small female and proffered the tube with the mystery liquid in it.

“Here. If I’m correct, this will fix your memory.”

Lucy looked worried. “IF you’re correct? What if you’re not?”

Krystal shrugged. “Best not to think about that.”

The fairy penguin gulped nervously as she took the tube. She took a deep breath to try and calm her racing heart. “Well…here goes nothing.” She thought to herself as she closed her eyes and downed the contents in one swallow. Lucy’s eyes popped open wide for a moment as she dropped the tube. It fell to the floor and shattered just before she fainted.

The memories came on hard and fast. Almost too fast to absorb at once. It was like a slideshow that was in fast forward.

She now remembered the conversation she had had with her mother in full.

“My people, OUR people, are a species known as Siren penguins. It’s because, not only of our ability, but of who were are descended from. We bear the blood of the Sirens spoken of in Greek mythology.”

The young penguin nodded her head though she didn’t fully understand it.

“And like the Sirens spoken of old, we can lure men with our singing. They may very well follow it to their doom depending on the character of the singer. In the past, when we still had a flock on a faraway island, the ability helped us to lure fish for us to eat. This is ability is known as the Siren charm. Do you understand Lucy?”

And she had nodded her head.

“Whenever you sing, any male that hears it will be drawn to you immediately. But there’s a side effect. The male will fall in love with you, but only for an hour. Then it wears off. Only males who are related to you by blood will be unaffected. So don’t sing if you can help it.”

She nodded her head again. “Yes Mama. I understand.”

Lucy then saw herself at age six. Her parents and three year-old brother were being transported out of the wild and into captivity. A place called Sea World was what she heard one of the humans say. But she was more interested in what her parents were whispering to each other.

“It should be safe Anna; don’t worry. The hole we dug was deep, and the spot was covered with a large rock. No one will ever know that the area had been disturbed.”

“I hope you’re right Luke. It’s all that remains of my people’s legacy.”

Fast forward ten years. Her father had formed a militia group with the other fairy penguins at Sea World. They had a secret base deep underground beneath their burrows. The militia’s purpose was to eradicate one of the predators of their species; the stoat. An invasive predator which shouldn’t be there at all not being a native to the country. She herself wasn’t a member of the militia being too weak physically. But that didn’t mean she didn’t overhear things. Like about a certain stoat, one with a birth defect that made him deaf, being their most formidable opponent so far.

A year after that, her mother had asked to speak with her in private. It was about her heritage, and certain other things that weren’t said all those years ago.

“Lucy, I told you a little about our people; the Siren penguins.”

She nodded. “Yes Mama. About how we’re descended from the Sirens in Greek myths and the ability we possess.”

Anna gave her daughter a sad look.

“Yes. But I didn’t tell you everything. You see, I was supposed to inherit the leadership of the flock. You could say that I was queen-to-be. But I didn’t agree to the arranged marriage and instead married your father. Because of that I was cast out of the flock. But I was the undeclared queen nonetheless. Which technically makes you a princess.”

Lucy could only stand there with her beak wide open in surprised disbelief.

“There’s more though. There used to be another flock that was similar to us. The Charybdis penguins; descendants of Charybdis. They were able to swallow three times their body weight in water and spit it back out again. When you were only one and half, plans for an arranged marriage to the heir to the Charybdis penguin flock took place. But…,” she trailed off.

“But what? You keep using past-tense. Why…?”

Anna looked stricken and averted her gaze.

“A year later humans somehow found both islands. One survivor of the Charybdis penguins managed to make his way here even though he was badly injured. It was lucky that a shark hadn’t eaten him. He told me that the humans had captured who they could, and killed all that resisted capture. I assume that the same happened to our people.”

Lucy gasped is dismay.

“Myself and my children are the last survivors of the true bloodline. Edmund, being male, won’t ever be able to lure females with his singing like you lure males with yours. He’ll be able to enchant them, but his real strength lies in his vast knowledge. All male Siren penguins have genius level intelligence. It is because the Sirens not only had beautiful voices, but wisdom.”

There was a pause. As if there were something else still left to be said.

“Mama? What is it?”

“We Siren penguins we’re a dying race even before the humans killed us all. It was due to breeding outside the species. There are several families of supposedly normal penguins in the world that still have some Siren penguin blood in them. There is a scroll with all the families that carry the blood. It’s mainly passed on through females.”

More time passed with small, yet precious memories attached. Time spent with her brother. The things he taught her, the talks they had. Training her father gave her to protect herself with; even though she wasn’t very good at such things.

Then she was twenty. Her father was introducing her to a male fairy penguin; a transplant from the rare Chile flocks. There was something odd about him, but she didn’t know what it was. His name was Ricky, and her father said that she was to marry this stranger.

She tried to love him for her parents’ sake, but just couldn’t. Probably because he didn’t love her. He was very suspicious of everyone that wasn’t a fairy penguin, and sometimes even of those who were. Lucy began to think that maybe there was something wrong with him.

A year passed. It was now 2007. She couldn’t sleep, so she went outside to get some fresh air. She had barely poked her head out of the burrow, when she saw something that chilled her to the bone. It was a silhouette of an animal with a long body, triangular head, and small pointed ears. From all the time she had spent with her father and other members of the militia, she knew what the creature was though it was the first time she had ever seen one. It was a stoat. And it was carrying something; a bottle she thought. The mammal poured the contents of the container over the gravel.

At this point, she ducked back inside and ran to wake her father. But by the time that he and some of the other males had gotten top side, the stoat was gone. The others didn’t believe her; they thought she had been dreaming, and Lucy was sternly chastised for raising a false alarm. Though of course that wasn’t the case.

Lucy didn’t come up the next day; still upset that no one had believed her about the stoat. No one except Ed. Then the fairy penguins started to sicken and die. Among the first of the casualties was her little brother. She wept bitter tears over the loss, and refused to come out of the burrow. Which may have saved her. Every fairy penguin that had touched the gravel, was poisoned.

In the end, only thirteen remained. Ricky had brought Lucy up and out despite all her protests. She refused to go for a swim. That was when the stranger appeared suddenly. A female penguin with cyan eyes wearing an emerald necklace with a fern in it.

“Hey, I need some intel. Where’s the fastest cruise ship to Hawaii located at?”

There was a moment of silence. Lucy’s fiancée Ricky suddenly began growling. Lucy couldn’t figure out why, and what he said next made no sense to her, or the stranger, at all.

“You’re the one! The one who did all this!”

“What?!”

The stranger looked angry enough to jump down off the wall surrounding the habitat and start fighting. Lucy intervened.

“Ricky, I seriously doubt that it was her. I know what I saw that night, and I told everyone.”

“I know what you said. And what you probably really saw was a penguin in a stoat costume!” He glared at the female penguin.

“I really have no idea what you’re talking about, but if you want a fight then I’ll give you one.”

“No! The habitat might still be poisoned! If you get too close you might get poisoned as well.”

Ricky was still glaring and growling. “Let her. What’s one dead outsider, anyway?” And with that he finally stormed off.

“I’m really sorry about that. My name’s Lucy by the way. And sure, I’ll tell you about the cruise ship.”

She gave the information that the female wanted, then the other left. Lucy was sad to see her go. But was even more furious that Ricky had acted like that. She was determined to talk to him about it and give him a piece of her mind. When she finally tracked him down, he was coughing badly and barely able to stand. She recognized the signs; he was poisoned and didn’t have much longer left to live. Her anger melted into pity.

He had had his back to her when she came up, but now he turned around. And he was holding a syringe. There was a crazed look in his eyes. Lucy was suddenly afraid and began to slowly back away. But he followed her limping.

“You did this.”

“What?”

“You. This is all your fault,” he stated before being racked with a coughing fit.

Lucy’s eyes were wide in terror. She realized that he had gone completely insane; that is if hadn’t always been so in the first place.

“Somehow….I knew that you were responsible for all the deaths that have happened. When you talked to that stranger I KNEW.”

“Ricky…you need help.”

“And I’ll get help. But first, I’m going to make sure that you can’t tell anybody about what you’ve seen. I’ll make sure you can’t tell any of those others about me or the rest.”

He was starting to wheeze at this point. Lucy kept backing up. In his current condition, she felt that she’d be able to out run him. But she was wrong. With a last burst of strength, he leapt at her and shoved her to the ground. Even in his weakened state, Ricky was too strong for her. She had no way to stop him from injecting her with whatever was in that syringe.

When she came to, she was alone. She found the other fairy penguins, and the total head out was twelve. And she didn’t really remember any of what had gone on before waking up.

Since she was still out cold, Skipper decided to have her moved to her box until she woke up. In the mean time, a discussion was going on about what should be done about Clonewalski.

“My analysis shows that it would be too dangerous to try and reconstruct the Hyper Dimensional Warp Gate to send him back until we establish whether or not Dr. Blowhole is to blame for all of this,” Kowalski said after writing in his notepad.

Skipper nodded.

“Okay. Then what should we do with him? Options.”

Before Kowalski could reply, Clonewalski spoke up.

“I could always stay here and help out. I am a computer expert after all. And probably not too shabby in combat either, I dare say.”

Skipper and Kowalski glared. But Krystal looked thoughtful.

“I think that would probably be a good idea. And an extra set of flippers couldn’t hurt, could it?”

The boss penguin thought about this for a minute, before looking up disgusted.

“Fine. You can stay. We’ll figure out a way to make it look as if you were transported from a different zoo.”

Then some more talk started about how exactly this should be done, the risks involved, and the cover story. So no one noticed when Lucy opened her eyes. She quickly closed them again and rolled over on her said facing away from the others. She couldn’t face the others just yet and tell them what she remembered. She quietly cried as talk went on, and in time she fell asleep.

Hardison:

Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  MoonwalkingPanda on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:45 am

Wow... I never thought Ricky was that stupid and psycho in his brain... but the chappie is amazing!

Lieutenant Kowalski
Lieutenant Kowalski

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum