Penguins United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Fandom fear
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 5:34 pm by Fairy_Mochi

» Throw an Object at the Next Poster
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 1:59 pm by MoonwalkingPanda

» Eddsworld Thread
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 1:56 pm by MoonwalkingPanda

» *crashes in with fandoms in tow*
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 1:53 pm by MoonwalkingPanda

» Cookie Game
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 1:10 am by MoonwalkingPanda

» Birthday Thread
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 11:21 am by MoonwalkingPanda

» Christmas 2014: Snowball Fight!
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 12:05 am by MoonwalkingPanda

» Fairy's misc. sketches
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 4:14 pm by Fairy_Mochi

» Keep, Sell, Bin
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 5:03 am by MoonwalkingPanda

» Christmas Thread 2014
Shorties (short stories) from NYC EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 2:00 am by MoonwalkingPanda

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Shorties (short stories) from NYC

5 posters

Go down

Shorties (short stories) from NYC Empty Shorties (short stories) from NYC

Post  2nd Lt. NYC Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:06 pm

So I've recently taken to writing short little stories, which is a huge change from what I usually write: long-winded three-part stories and even entire series of books. In comparison to those gargantuan fan fictions, I found Shorties much easier ad faster too write, so here I am. Here is a little something I wrote today.

8th October
Fireflies
By NYC
Inspired by the song "Fireflies" by Owl City

I watched as Private flipped another page on the picture book.
"Ooh, fireflies!" he squealed, gazing at the pretty little lights printed on its pages. The sparkles sprinkled over them glittered under the glow of the incandescent light bulb hanging overhead.
"Yes, those are fireflies," I told him, "Part of the bug family of insects and one of the few insects in this world capable of bioluminescence."
"Kowalski, I don't think there is a need for that sort of knowledge for now," said Private, "I do wish I could see one of these little guys though..."
"I hate to disappoint you, Private," I started, "but that's kind of impossible."
"Why not?" Private asked, curious.
"Fireflies live well in clean, unpolluted habitats," I explained, "They are extremely sensitive to any changes in their environment. With such a hazy a place as New York, I don't think we have a chance of finding one here."
"But isn't Central Park full of trees?" Private objected, "They're sure to keep the air clean and fresh! There's got to be fireflies in there!"
"Private, I don't think our trees here are enough," I shook my head, "Compared to all the smoke and toxic gas our cars emit daily, our trees barely do anything to improve the air quality, even in the park. Finding fireflies in New York is just wishful thinking."
Private sighed, knowing that this was a battle he would never win. I suddenly had a bad feeling that I shouldn't have objected so strongly against him. I mean it may, just may, be possible for the trees in Central Park to purify the air enough for fireflies to reside comfortably. But I hadn't believed in that possibility. Still, I felt rather remorseful.
"Tell you what, Private," I said, "Maybe I will go on a little firefly hunt. After all, who can trust the orders of Mother Nature? She might even send a few fireflies tonight."
Private brightened up. "Really?"
"Uh... Yeah," I shrugged.
With a joyful cry, the young penguin wrapped his flippers around me.
"Thank you, Kowalski," he whispered.

With a butterfly net in one flipper and a glass jar in the other, I tiptoed through the bushes of Central Park, all the while feeling like an idiot. Why did I even consider that my theory could be correct? There was no way I could find a singly firefly in this polluted city. But Private was waiting for me to return with a jar containing at least one bioluminescent bug, and I didn't like the idea of disappointing him.
"Where are you hiding, little firefly?" I muttered, scouring the surrounding bushes. Not a single spot of light could be seen. I threw down my new in frustration.
"Gah! This is impossible," I complained, "This air is so polluted, not even all the trees of five Central Parks could clean it!"
Defeated, I sat down next to the bushes, staring at the pitch-black sky.
That's when it happened.
One of the street lamps in the park flickered, then buzzed out. This was followed by a series of other lamps all flickering out, throwing that section of Central Park into darkness.
"Curses," I swore, "It's a blackout! I should have taken along those night-vision goggles..."
Feeling around, I found my net and jar and tries to find my way back to the Zoo, but to no avail.
"I'm lost!" I realized, "This is bad..."
At that moment, a tiny flicker of yellow-green light lit up a patch of grass in front of me. Bending down for a closer look, I immediately recognized the source of this light.
It was a single, glowing firefly.
I stand corrected, I thought. I raised my net, ready to capture it, when another firefly blinked its own yellow-green light on and danced before my eyes.
I stood up and watched, transfixed, as the two fireflies were joined by tens, no, hundreds of tiny, blinking fireflies, all hovering in the air like the stars had decided to move into the bottom of the troposphere.
"I don't believe it!" I finally gasped in awe, "It is possible for fireflies to live in Central Park!"
Several fireflies flew into my jar and settled down inside. Seeing my chance, I immediately clapped a lid on top of it (with breathing holes, of course). Then, with the help of the fireflies' light, I slowly navigated my way back to the zoo.

Private sat, waiting, on the artificial island. I entered our habitat quietly, so as to not startle him.
"Hello," I greeted him, settling down next to him.
"Did you find any fireflies?" Apparently, he was getting a little impatient.
I showed him the jar.
Private made a little cry of surprise. "You actually did it, Kowalski!"
He lay down, watching as yellow-green lights danced around the glass jar, smiling with pure happiness. I smiled, too. Private's happiness is rather infectious.
"You know, now that you've seen real fireflies," I said, "would it be too much to release them into their natural habitat? They would like it better there."
Private hesitated.
"That's alright," he beamed, "As long as they are happy, I'm happy too!"
He carefully picked the jar up and gingerly lifted the lid. The fireflies flew out, doing a dainty little firefly ballet in the air. One flew onto Private's beak, making him giggle.
"Goodbye, fireflies," he whispered to it, gently brushing it off.
Silently, we sat on the island, watching as our fireflies slowly danced their way back into the fresh, clean air of Central Park.

THE END

This story can also be found on my FanFiction.net account, NYCskipper.
The reason why I'm writing as Kowalski... I'm in a Kowalski mood these days when it comes to fan fictions. I don't know why, but it may have something to do with my 180 brain trying to show off its newfound genius. I've been trying to write as Private though, which may predict my next Shorties' narrator and storyline...

P.S. If you've seen my fan art on Penguins HQ, you should recognise this drawing, which I also based this story on.
Spoiler:
2nd Lt. NYC
2nd Lt. NYC
Commander Skipper
Commander Skipper

Humor : ENGLAND SANK MY INVINCIBLE ARMADA... in Battleship. R.I.P Invincible Armada.

Roleplay characters
Name: NYC (my persona :P)

https://penguinsunited.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Shorties (short stories) from NYC Empty Re: Shorties (short stories) from NYC

Post  Fairy_Mochi Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:39 pm

I like that; it's cute. And the pic is cute too. I can't wait for the next one.
Fairy_Mochi
Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Humor : Help me Tom Cruise! Use your black magic to save me!

Roleplay characters
Name: Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutezee_Penguin Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Seen and read this on Fanfic. Smile
Cutezee_Penguin
Cutezee_Penguin
Major Maurice
Major Maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  2nd Lt. NYC Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks guys Very Happy This little story actually took me about half an hour to write, and it was also the first draft, so I think it could always be better. I'm working on a new one right now, and I'm considering having a few proofreaders. Anyone up for the job?
2nd Lt. NYC
2nd Lt. NYC
Commander Skipper
Commander Skipper

Humor : ENGLAND SANK MY INVINCIBLE ARMADA... in Battleship. R.I.P Invincible Armada.

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  2nd Lt. NYC Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:47 am

Here's the little story I had been working on earlier. Try and guess who the narrator is before you reach the last few sentences. Good luck! Wink

9th October
The Payphone
By NYC
Inspired by the song "Payphone" by Maroon 5

I slipped the coin into the slot and watched as it rolled into the deep, dark abyss inside which is the coin-holding cell, or at least that's what I saw it as. Then I picked up the sleek black receiver and listened for the dial tone.
There was a single, long, beep.
As if my life depended on it, I quickly dialled the number in. The dial tone abruptly stopped, then was replaced by a shorter, ringing tone.
"Please pick up..." I begged once again to the phone on the other end, "I've already lost count of how many pennies I've spent on you..."
The ring tone persisted.
"Come on, I know you don't like me wasting money on you..."
The ring tone continued.
"Oh please, don't you know I'm already begging you to pick up here?"
The ring tone was still ringing. It was only mere seconds before that recorded voice denied me again...
"Hello?"
Hearing that voice, I almost wanted to cry with joy. She had finally picked up at last! But I stayed composed. I didn't want her to think I had gone mad. No can do.
"Finally, you picked up."
"So that mystery caller who's left fifteen messages on my answering machine was you."
"Yes, that was me."
"Are you using that payphone again? I already told you, if you want to call me you could either get a phone of your own, or just visit me."
"I find using the payphone more convenient."
"Convenient? The last time I saw you, you were definitely not going for convenient. I spent quite some time dealing with the debris you left behind."
"Oh, sorry. I had big fish to fry then. Wasn't paying much attention."
"Well then, since this is your 16th try, and most successful attempt at this payphone by far, what did you want to tell me?"
"Uh, I just wanted to tell you about my time here."
"Interesting. And by 'here', you do mean Central Park Zoo, right? Not like the last time, when you told me you were in Shanghai, and I thought you were joking."
"I really was in Shanghai back then. Kind of got into a jam there, and I do not want to elaborate."
"Hmm, I'm not going on about Shanghai then. Go on."
"Aren't you going to ask about it?"
"Fine. How's life over there?"
"Too vague."
"Hmm, how's the team?"
"They're doing a bang-up job. A little messed up without me, but they're great all the same."
"How's your day been, then?"
"Oh, uh... We just commenced Operation: Squeaky Clean."
"Pardon?"
"We just cleaned up the HQ."
"Oh, you gave me a fright there, I thought you were going to clear the Zoo of unwanted animals. I hope you haven't been getting into trouble with the lemurs."
"What? Of course not!"
"Well, something in your voice tells me you have."
"Fine. I have. Just.. Don't ask about it, ok?"
"If that's what you want, dear. Anything else you want to, erm, report on?"
"Not that I can think of, except that I'm fine, thank you, no cause for worry."
"That's my little Skippy."
"Don't call me Skippy."
"If that's what you want. Ooh, the oven just went. I need to check up on dinner. Bye! I look forward to your next call, and I do hope you don't use that payphone again!"
"Yes, Mom. Bye."
I replaced the receiver on the payphone. I had did it, finally. Pulling out that to-do list I had been keeping for the last week, I ticked off the last and final job I had to do.

THE END

Did you expect my little twist? My Kowalski mood hasn't faded yet, but judging from this it's beginning to. And just in case you still can't figure out the narrator's identity, or if you just want a picture, here's another piece of fan art I drew while on Penguins HQ.
Spoiler:

Last edited by 2nd Lt. Skipper12a on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
2nd Lt. NYC
2nd Lt. NYC
Commander Skipper
Commander Skipper

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  MoonwalkingPanda Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:01 am

Wow, These are amazing stories!
MoonwalkingPanda
MoonwalkingPanda
Lieutenant Kowalski
Lieutenant Kowalski

Location : Moonwalking forever across the fandoms and the universe...
Humor : Yes, I look similar to a genderbent Eddsworld Character. It's a thing.

Roleplay characters
Name: Krys

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy_Mochi Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 pm

I agree. Very nice.
Fairy_Mochi
Fairy_Mochi
Secretary Marlene
Secretary Marlene

Humor : Help me Tom Cruise! Use your black magic to save me!

Roleplay characters
Name: Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post  2nd Lt. NYC Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:31 am

Gee, thanks. I'm working on one called Shooting Star right now, and I'm looking for more story ideas (any random word will do) and proofreaders. So far Yoda's doing a great job of beta reading, but I could always use a bit more help. Smile
2nd Lt. NYC
2nd Lt. NYC
Commander Skipper
Commander Skipper

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutezee_Penguin Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:56 am

Cute little story about Skipper phoning his mom. xD

Last edited by Private_Cute on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutezee_Penguin
Cutezee_Penguin
Major Maurice
Major Maurice

Back to top Go down

Shorties (short stories) from NYC Empty reply to Shorties

Post  mostar1219 Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:13 pm

OMG, you like making stories with inspiration from songs, too? That's what I've been doing on fanpop. So far, I've written stories inspired by daydreams from Feels Like Tonight, No Surprise, It's Not Over, Life After You, Home, Crawling Back to You (Daughtry), Gotta Be Somebody, Savin' Me (Nickelback), Hall of Fame (The Script), Leave Out All The Rest (Linkin Park), A Thousand Years (Christina Perri), Wait for You (Elliot Yamin), and It Will Rain (Bruno Mars). I'm planning to write some more, although, the last one i mentioned was a request from a friend irl.Very Happy
mostar1219
mostar1219
Major Maurice
Major Maurice

Location : My own little mind. although, it's influenced by the outside world.
Humor : They say I'm insane. Well, insane is the NEW sane!

Roleplay characters
Name: Monique Star

Back to top Go down

Post  2nd Lt. NYC Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 am

I've hit a block. DX So far, the most I've written for my new story is, "Rico trudged into the HQ." That isn't much, I must say. It might take a while before the next one comes.
2nd Lt. NYC
2nd Lt. NYC
Commander Skipper
Commander Skipper

Roleplay characters

Back to top Go down

Shorties (short stories) from NYC Empty reply

Post  mostar1219 Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:26 pm

2nd Lt. Skipper12a wrote:I've hit a block. DX So far, the most I've written for my new story is, "Rico trudged into the HQ." That isn't much, I must say. It might take a while before the next one comes.
do you think it would be alright if i put up a fanfic of mine on here? i had an idea for a fanfic that involves the song "One More Night" and i'd put it up on deviantart, but it would kinda seem too much like my other fanfics on there.
mostar1219
mostar1219
Major Maurice
Major Maurice

Location : My own little mind. although, it's influenced by the outside world.
Humor : They say I'm insane. Well, insane is the NEW sane!

Roleplay characters
Name: Monique Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down